It feels like it was just yesterday I was on my computer writing New Year, No Resolutions. It’s flabbergasting to think 365 days came and went in the blink of an eye. Every month had something new up its sleeve and it’s been quite the year.
I’m sure there are hundreds of bloggers making the same reflective post tonight but the truth is, it’s been a reflective year. I REALLY CAN’T BLAME THEM! An ongoing pandemic, people struggling in different ways and dealing with different things has been the norm for 2021.
I’ve spent the entire week reflecting. Trying to see the lessons and learn from them. Trying to apply the learn, unlearn and relearn method for 2022. Trying to tune into myself and set goals that matter to me. Trying to make sure I don’t carry old and obsolete things into a new year while being grateful for every experience 2021 gave me.
If you didn’t learn anything this year, where were you???Girl In Her Twenties
2021 has taught me to:
- Spend more time with myself. Love me as much as I love those around me. Pour into myself like I pour into others. Be kinder, more gentle and patient with myself. I’m growing, healing and constantly learning, it’s not going to be a linear process.
- Your friends are your soulmate. Healthy friendships are super important. Choose the right friends to surround yourself with because energy is transferable. YOU DON’T WANT OR NEED A TOXIC FRIENDSHIP! After this year, I’m very certain I have the right group of friends that feel more like family around me.
- Remain faithful in God. Some of us don’t believe in a higher being and that’s okay because everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs. For me, my faith in God kept me through 2021. I found refuge and healing in him and his plan for my life. My aim is to build a stronger bond with him for 2022.
- Romantic love takes time. I’m so happy I stopped forcing that type of love to unfold in my life. The moment I did, I found the love created specifically for me. Relationships require honesty, trust, vulnerability and a willingness to grow individually and collectively. I need time to realize this.
- Pursue your passions realistically. Everyone isn’t going to understand your passion and they don’t have to (don’t let that stop you). However, follow your dreams with your head firmly on your shoulder. Don’t think it’s going to be as easy as 1 2 3. Put in the work, be consistent with it and always have a back up plan.
- Prioritize your mental health. You will never be able to function if you are falling apart and pretending you’re not. Take time for your bad mental days! Seek professional help if you can afford it! Journal, take walks or sit outside for 30 minutes! Confide in someone. Health is Wealth!
- You’re not failing. Everything happens in its own timing. You’re running your own race and it doesn’t matter who has reached “their” finish line. Your focus is on you and your race.
- Be financially responsible. Save your money as wisely as you spend it. Financial literacy isn’t a common thing spoken about in black household (sad I know). Take control of your financial narrative, that will look different for different persons.
- You’ll never know until you try. It’s as simple as that, life is filled with endless possibilities. You’ll never know the outcome if you don’t venture on the path to find out.
Feel free to share a few lessons learnt in 2021, I’m keen on reading them. Thank you soooo much to everyone who has continued to read, like and comment on my blog. I write these posts to express myself and also share with like-minded persons like you. Thank you for all your support in 2021! Happy New Year everyone, may 2022 be a prosperous one for each and every one of us.